Ensemble shakes hands with MediaWiki

Ahmed Kamal kim0 at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 8 16:25:55 UTC 2011

Yesterday I had contacted Ryan Lane, from the mediawiki Ops team. This
is a follow up to the previous reach-out before the Dublin sprint. The
goal was to get MW excited as an upstream to using Ensemble for their
own operations. Ryan is building a private OpenStack cloud (which they
refer to as "the cluster"). My understanding is that this cloud is to be
used for operations testing and staging. Since I believe this is
interesting to many, here is an overview of how the conversation progressed.

- Ryan had some misconceptions regarding Ensemble, namely that it is
"good for initial deployment, but not long term management of systems"
- Ryan would like to "open" their ops formulas, just like they do MW
- Myself and Mark Mims addressed concern points for Ryan, namely that
can drive not only clouds, but also (soon) LXC containers and physical
hardware. That it operates at service level, not machine level. And that
we're all about sharing
- We explained the concept of relations, events and how it makes
everything easier and more consistent
- Ryan was interested in any direct benefits Ensemble would offer over
puppet/chef. Also was interested regarding formula upgrades in a live
environment
- We explained how having intelligent services, that know how to react
to events make managing and scaling services much simpler. The formula
upgrades feature was mentioned to be supported. It could rapidly evolve
however
- Ryan mentions their software is deployed separately from the OS
- We agree that the openstack cloud is a good ground for experimenting
with next-gen devops tools
- Ryan agrees to let us have access to their openstack cloud, where the
Ensemble community would attempt to model their environment in Ensemble.
- Ryan mentions having lots of ops documentation on
http://wikitech.wikimedia.org and configuration files at
http://noc.wikimedia.org
- Ryan will be helping the Ensemble community with this project, and
will try to attract ops volunteers to help write and maintain the formulas

Here's the log
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/07/07/%23ubuntu-ensemble.html#t22:37

Next Steps: The way I see it, this can be a good step to have MW as the
first upstream to adopt Ensemble in their internal ops. Should we want
to proceed with this, we need someone to step up and engage with
modeling the MW ops environment in Ensemble. Any takers for this ?