Splitting channels

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 13 16:38:14 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Gustavo Niemeyer's message of Tue Dec 13 05:08:17 -0800 2011:
> I've been arguing with Roger for a while in the IRC channel about
> issues that seem completely irrelevant to people interested in using
> juju, and I'm concerned that we're taking over the channel and
> preventing fruitful debate from taking place. I think it's time for us
> to split the channel into #juju and #juju-dev, to avoid that kind of
> unintended takeover.

My initial gut reaction is +1. I've seen about 1 new person per day this
last week come in, and they might be fairly confused by discussions of
reactors and test suites and code formatting. Also I don't think we want
anybody to feel like they can't have a complete discussion out in the
open just because they might be squelching new users.

That said, I think it might be prudent to make #juju the default
location for discussions of everything *except* deep dives and code
reviews. Meaning, specs, features, even bug fix work should all remain
in #juju. Us users like to be able to contribute to these discussions. :)

I'd say lets just try it and if too much quality discussion ends up in
#juju-dev we can shut it back down.