Plans for "home use"?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Sun Aug 14 02:08:03 UTC 2011

Hey Ivan,

> I recently heard about ensemble and I think it is
> a key component in any OS. Everything should
> be scriptable!

Happy to hear you're enjoying it!

> I have some questions:
>
> Have you heard of the freedom box idea?
> I would be interested to write down some
> formulas for deployment of a few basic
> services for a "home server":
>  - automatic dyndns setup
>  - web server w/ blog
>  - email setup + webmail

Indeed, that sounds like a perfect fit for Ensemble.  Are you
interested in pushing this idea forward, or would you be interested
mostly from a user perspective?

> Do you think ensemble formulas will be compatible
> with debian boxes? Do you use anything ubuntu
> specific?

It's not Ubuntu-specific, but we're certainly working to make it very
comfortable to use from Ubuntu, which means we'll have some defaults
and features that enable you to do that more easily, pretty much in
the same way you can use the packaging tools with other distributions,
but they're made very well integrated in Ubuntu.

> Finally, have you head about
> http://nixos.org/nix/
> [ neat way to deal with package version conflicts ]

I think I've read about the concept a while ago, but this departs a
bit from the focus of Ensemble.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net