Principia updated to latest Ensemble trunk.

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Apr 20 19:53:55 UTC 2011

> Can you tell us a little about how plans are shaping up to make that a
> vibrant community push? How have the LP infrastructure conversations
> gone (last I heard we were thinking of a two-phase process with ensemble
> commands to handle publishing and using existing LP / github services in
> the backend before proper LP support comes along for bugs/translations etc).

The ball is currently with me at the moment for pushing that forward.
I still have to write a proper specification with details of how I
suggest we do it in more detail, but this is a good chance to have
some early exposure to the ideas, so here is what I'm thinking ATM.

Making a formula available would consist of the following steps:

1) Create a new formula:

   $ ensemble new-formula myformula

   This command will create the myformula/ directory with a
   formula template named "myformula" in place.

2) Adjust the formula to one's needs.

   $ cd myformula && <hack>

3) Publish the formula.

   $ ensemble publish

   This command will ask the user for Launchpad credentials, will
   create a new branch for the formula at lp:~user/formula/myformula
   and once the content is pushed, will ping the Ensemble
   repository server to bundle and index the new formula.

That's it, as far as the publishing process goes.

On the other side, users can make use of the new formula
simply with something similar to (proper identifier style
still being figured):

    $ ensemble deploy lp:~user/myformula

This will contact the repository directly and look for the formula
bundle.

There are some internal details of getting this right in terms of
picking the correct Ubuntu release, etc, but what I describe above
is the intended default user experience besides those details.

How does that sound?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net