Principia updated to latest Ensemble trunk.

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 19 23:30:24 UTC 2011


Excerpts from Gustavo Niemeyer's message of Tue Apr 19 12:29:57 -0700 2011:
> > I updated principia to support the hook format ensemble
> > trunk expects.
> >
> > Because this won't work with the old version in the PPA,
> > I also updated the ensemble ppa to the latest trunk release:
> 
> That's awesome, thanks on both counts Clint.
> 
> How did the process go?  How does the new convention feel to you?
> 

As predicted, the hooks are much simpler, no more case statements, and no
more huge mistake of not doing 'relation-get' in joined. There is still
the slightly added complexity of calling other hook code from one hook,
but it will be much simpler if we sort out a standard way to locate the
hooks so we don't have to do `dirname $0`.

The conversion was not awful, but very tedious as it took about 7
iterations to get totally right. Part of this was that relation-get was
*also* changed to match its original spec, and that was not very obvious
(even though bcsaller did warn me weeks ago that it would break all my
formulas. ;)

Ultimately, automated testing wins the day, as my demo script (which, now
that I type it, should really be turned into a "test principia script"),
was very useful in bringing up a full mediawiki, then tearing it back
down and iterating. Of course, that demo script should eventually become
a stack + checks in debug-log + some queries to the exposed services.




More information about the Ensemble mailing list