Mixing AMIs?

Torsten Spindler torsten at canonical.com
Fri Apr 15 07:57:26 UTC 2011

Hello,

I just started playing around with ensemble, setup my environment and
run the mysql/wordpress example. Thanks to Kapil's help on IRC it all
worked in the end :)

For testing ensemble I'd like to write a formula for deploying a Jenkins
instance on EC2, as I just looked into this for a sprint. However, the
PPA for Jenkins is for Natty, not Lucid, which is used by default for
ensemble.

On
http://readthedocs.org/docs/ensemble/en/latest/provider-configuration-ec2.html
I've seen that I can change the AMI via 'param default-image-id'. Is
there also a way to use different AMIs for different formulas? E.g. I
want to use a solid LTS AMI for my webservers and databases, but for
testing my development code I want to use the latest development machine
image that I can get hold on.

A bit unrelated, but how realistic is this scenario for the future: An
Ubuntu using company deploys it on several thousand desktops and
laptops. They are in dear need having an infrastructure that supports
this environment: Mirrors for the archive, a repository for their own
packages, a feature and bug tracking system, a testing system for
updates, a repository server for their code, a wiki for collaboration
and a proprietary mail / document storage servers. With help of
Landscape Dedicated Server (systems management and web frontend),
ensemble (service management), puppet (config management), and UEC
(infrastructure) the company can set this environment up in a matter of
days, rather than weeks or months. Thoughts on this 'vision'?

Torsten