Ensemble community venues

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com
Mon Apr 11 17:05:43 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of Fri Apr 08 15:42:07 -0400 2011:
> Ahmed, everything below sounds great... once there is an actual release.
>
> Ensemble team.. I know you've set goals for Budapest. How about one of them
> being to release a version where we don't expect the fundamental formula
> format to change. I'm already feeling the despair of having to rewrite all
> of Principia to work with the new hook semantics. We can't ask people
> to start writing formulas if thats going to happen again.
>
> Until there's a release, its just a research project.

I don't think we're ready to commit to a frozen formula spec yet. We'll need
to let things evolve to meet the needs of the community. That said we'll
definitely weigh compatibility concerns with any incompatible changes. If it
comes to it we can introduce formula spec versioning.

On a related note, I think the ensemble team is going to need accept broader
responsbility for maintaining principia through any formula/hook changes. Its
effectively our only demo of functionality so making sure that's in good shape
is key for new users.

-kapil