Indexing proposal

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Thu Sep 26 19:44:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 09/26/2013 03:23 PM, Benji York wrote:
>> I suspect
>> the change could be made with no change to the GUI (although the
>> "autocomplete" flag would more than likely become unnecessary and could
>> be removed.)
>
> That's an interesting question.  Autocomplete behavior is different than
> search behavior: If I type in "ra", autocomplete should give me
> "rabbitmq" but not a hypothetical "corral" charm, right?  Search should
> give me both.  Do you, and others, agree?

That would be fine.  At a minimum the autocomplete results should be a
subset of the "real" search results.  My intuition is that they should
be exactly the same.

Why a subset?  Because if a person starts typing something into the
search box and sees the result they are interested in, they should be
able to hit enter and that thing be one of the search results.  That is
not the case now and I believe this behavior is the root of one of the
bugs.  I see the autocomplete functionality more as a quick search
result preview.

I slightly prefer non-prefix matching for autocomplete so so that if
someone types "apache" they get both "apache2" and "my-custom-apache" in
the autocomplete.
--
Benji York