search engine and gui

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Tue Jul 30 20:25:23 UTC 2013

On 07/30/2013 09:11 AM, Richard Harding wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
>
>> a technique using the ajax crawling spec and an alternate rendering mode
>>
>> http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/seo-in-js-web-apps
>
> I'm not following how this helps us though. There's not a server back end
> to serve out an alternate plain html version of the page requested. There's
> nothing to serve out /precise/ceph-13/#bws-readme as plain html for
> indexing.

There can be, fwiw: we have a server coming.  That's a *lot* more time
than I had hoped we would spend on this, though.

I think Curtis has A Plan, as outlined in
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/juju-gui/+spec/servercloud-s-juju-gui-charmbrowser-search-rankings.
 Here's the crux:

[ce-orange-squad] Setup sitemap.xml on jujucharms.com: TODO
[ce-orange-squad] Proxy configuration setup w/ nagios: TODO
[ce-orange-squad] Verify, else setup proxied pages for results: TODO
[ce-orange-squad] Handle urls on the jujucharms.com/charm/id works to
/charm/id-1: TODO
[ce-orange-squad] look at updating page title when browsing through gui:
TODO

I think that boils down to "make charmworld (manage.jujucharms.com) able
to generate jujucharm's sitemap.xml dynamically; make jujucharms proxy
this; make the JS update the title; and see if that's good enough."

If it's not good enough, this is a lot more work. :-/

Curtis, am I on the right track?  If not, could you correct me?

Thank you,

Gary