charm search discussion from IRC of "awesome first 30 minutes" vUDS session

Luca Paulina luca.paulina at canonical.com
Thu Aug 29 19:40:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster at canonical.com>wrote:

> Heart of it:
>
> Nate (Juju core engineer) reports that...
> - incremental search improves current charm search a lot

– Agree, the auto-complete has always tested really well.

> - [not in conversation, but Gary really wants the "deploy" button in
> those fast results, per UX!]

– That would be awesome to get it to the auto-complete results. We designed
it so when a user is comfortable with deploying charms they can shortcut to
the search bar, type MySQL and then deploy in a really short time.

> - we should consider including README text in searches, or doing other
> things to make charm searches fuzzier

– I'm interested with this idea, it wouldn't of occurred to me that it
would be useful to search it, however I'm all for making the search as
intuitive as possible. Maybe if we have 10 mins next week we can discuss it.

> - showing results in drop down is odd to him

– Auto-complete relies on the dropdown, we're not doing much different than
what most search engines do however we always expect a learning curve, good
thing this one is pretty small.

> - user is eager for us to remove filters (JC is working on this IIRC)

– Fantastic :)