RFC: proposed changes to debug-log API call

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Tue Aug 9 08:43:44 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

This is regarding the streaming /api/:model-uuid/log api server endpoint.

Currently this method sends an initial possible error, then just turns
on a tap of bytes of preformatted log messages.

What I propose is to change the streaming protocol from just text to a
stream of structured log messages.

This initial change will have no impact at all on the CLI, but allows
for future changes like:
   - showing logs in local time instead of UTC
   - hiding the filenames by default
   - not showing the date by default
   - colors

Is anyone currently using the streaming text aspects of the API right now?

How much warning would you like?  Ideally this change needs to happen
before we freeze the API for backwards compatibility.

Cheers,
Tim