ACTION: if you have "admin" hardcoded in scripts, this is a warning that things will change soon(ish)

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Fri Sep 26 04:57:17 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

All environments that exist so far have had an "admin" user being the
main (and only) user that was created in the environment, and it was
used for all client connections.

Code has landed in master now that makes this initial username
configurable.  The juju client is yet to take advantage of this, but
there is work due to be finished off soon that does exactly that.

Soon, the 'juju bootstrap' command will use the name of the currently
logged in user as the initial username to create [1].  So, for me

   juju bootstrap

would create the initial user "tim" (or "thumper" if I am logged in as
my other user).

If the current username is not translatable to a valid username, the
command will fail and require the user to specify the name of the
initial user on the command line.

  juju bootstrap --user eric

After talking with Rick this morning, he mentioned that 'juju
quickstart' had "admin" hard coded, and there are bound to be other
places too.

Please check.

Cheers,
Tim

[1] The algorithm is a little more complicated than just using the
username to account for Windows, where we may have "DOMAIN\User Name".
Take everything after the last slash (or backslash), lower case the
result, replaces spaces with dashes, then check to see if it is valid.