Using sshuttle caused a problem with my juju local

Matt Bruzek matthew.bruzek at canonical.com
Wed Sep 3 00:07:45 UTC 2014

Hello Juju developers,

I thought I found a bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1364631>
with juju but it turned out to be related to my use of sshuttle.  This was
a complex problem to debug and wanted to email everyone to avoid debug time
in the future.

My day job involves testing charms in the lab on a PPC64 system that only
supports juju local.  I use a shuttle command so to view the juju-gui on
the lab system.  The shuttle command forwards all 10.0.3.* traffic from my
laptop to the lab system.  The forwarding caused a problem with juju local
because the tools are download from 10.0.3.1 so it only saw ppc64 tools.
Those tools did not work on my x86_64 local environment!

I forgot that the sshuttle process was running and that is not something
that came up while debugging until Dave asked me to do a netstat on my
system.

Many thanks to the people who were helping me debug this problem,
davecheney, sinzui, and wallyworld!

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bruzek at canonical.com>