State should not depend on the API server

Frank Mueller frank.mueller at canonical.com
Mon Sep 1 07:02:52 UTC 2014

I absolutely like this approach, John and I discussed more than once about
it. And as a consequence, in a later cleanup, the API packages have to
leave the state namespace. Wouldn't change a lot about the logic, but makes
the separation more clear.

mue

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 8:05 AM, David Cheney <david.cheney at canonical.com>
wrote:

> The goal I have been tasked with is breaking the interdependency
> between the state package and the _client_ api types in
> state/api/params.
>
> I don't have any opinion on adding additional layers assuming that
> their dependancies flow downwards, ie
>
> labix.org/mgo <- juju/state <- juju/apiserver
>
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM, John Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>
> wrote:
> > FWIW I'd favor 3 layers, though it does mean you have to do copying
> between
> > structs that would likely otherwise be almost identical. A State layer
> for
> > saving in the DB, an API layer for communication, and a Model layer for
> use
> > in the Agents/Clients.
> >
> > John
> > =:->
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM, David Cheney <david.cheney at canonical.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This is an introductory email to explain my upcoming series of pull
> >> requests.
> >>
> >> The theme is simple: state must not depend on the api server.
> >>
> >> This is currently not true, state depends on api/params because some
> >> of the api types have leaked into the state package and are being
> >> directly stored in mongo.
> >>
> >> Please speak up if you disagree with this proposal.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >>
> >> --

** Frank Mueller <frank.mueller at canonical.com>
** Software Engineer - Juju Development