Is upgrade-juju provider/cloud dependant?

John Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jun 18 05:41:37 UTC 2014

The steps to upgrade is not changed between providers (though as mentioned
local and manual might be a bit different). However, what *is* different is
the search paths for tools.
If you remember some of our earlier transitions, where we had to have 2
copies of the tools so that (e.g.) the 1.16 tools are where 1.16 wanted
them to be, but they *also* had to be placed where 1.14 could find them so
that it could actually perform the upgrade.
And the location for where to find tools is unique to each cloud, isn't it?

Now, we haven't moved tools in a while, and I don't think we're planning to
move them again. So it is possible that we could drop the redundant tests
at this point. But I think they *did* have usefulness in the past. (In the
case that one of the mirrors wasn't updated in both locations.)

Upgrade *shouldn't* be very slow, so it sounds like something that could
use some investigation to understand why it is being a problem. (Maybe
downloading the new tools is slow, maybe it isn't using a cloud-local
mirror and has to download all the data from streams.canonical.com,
maybe... ?)

John
=:->