juju command progress ui

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Thu Feb 28 22:05:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Ian Booth <ian.booth at canonical.com> wrote:

>> We have feedback problems in some of our logic, and that can be fixed.
>> If we made asynchronous commands block for no reason, when they're in
>> fact done, we'd be going to a lesser model.
>>

> Mark, Julian and John have summarised the issue well, especially the part about
> making the UI fit the user's model, so I won't repeat their points here. While I
> agree the async commands should not block (although status and deploy do
> currently block for minutes or more if bootstrap is not finished yet), the
> current situation is clearly sub optimal from a usability perspective. My vote
> would be for the commands (eg bootstrap) to automatically go into observe mode
> once the request has been actioned and the user can ^C any time after that if
> they want. My view is that that model captures the best of both worlds, and as a
> juju user is what I'd prefer to see happen.

I hear it, but I respectfully disagree, and I have backed that with
explanations of why I see the suggested change as a very poor
experience, why the way it works today is both desirable and typical
of such applications, and multiple people provided alternatives to
how we can fix the issues brought up without changing significantly
the existing mechanism (which is a win on itself).

I hope you understand my perspective too, even if you don't fully
agree with it. It's time for us to turn this thread into positive
changes.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net