API access to Environ

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Fri Feb 15 18:58:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe at gmail.com> wrote:
> We want to give the GUI access to as much functionality
> from the command line as we can.
> Currently various commands make use of the Environ,
> and currently the API server has no access to that.
>
> Off the top of my head, the commands that use the Environ are:
>
> bootstrap
>    - This is the big one - we'd need some way of getting the GUI
> to start a new instance running the required stuff. Thoughts
> on the best way of accomplishing this (e.g. in-browser, provider-proxy)
> are welcome!

That looks like a chicken and egg issue. There's no API to talk to.

> status
>   - Status uses the environment to find out DNS names of instances.
> We could add another worker that finds DNS names of
> machine instances and sets them in the state.

The provisioner might do it.

> deploy
>   - Deploy uses the environment storage to push charms. It has long
> been the plan to use the state for charm storage rather than the environment,
> and this is a good reason for it.

This seems like a slightly different issue. The GUI should probably
not push charms at all.

For that kind of reason, it was always a goal to have the environment
itself being able to pull the charms instead of requiring the client
to send them.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net