juju 1.17.0 + mysql / HP > 2G

Curtis Hovey-Canonical curtis at canonical.com
Fri Dec 20 20:12:46 UTC 2013

There are a lot of factors involved in testing juju in many clouds.
    * The stable and devel versions of Juju being used.
    * The requirements of the charms we choose to deploy
    * The machines selected based on our test constraints.

We have been testing various stable juju 1.16.x upgrading to juju
candidate 1.17.0. We deploy mysql and wordpress because that is the
common example people try -- we expect this to be a great experience.
The machine specs we get in each cloud vary, they vary quite a bit.

While I think we are getting a 2 CPU, 2G machine, in HP, that machine
is not the same as the EC2 machine or azure machine. While mysql can
run in 1G, it must be tuned, and we don't do that. So I think this
issue of mysql + juju just after the machine has come up and software
installed is exceeding what the machine can provide. The issue doesn't
happen when we the test requests a machine with 4G.

Finding common constraints for all tests is maddening. Asking for 4G
for all clouds broke the Azure tests because the 4G machines come with
4 CPUs; the tests exceed the 20 CPU limit for the account. As Aaron
mentioned, we had to make storage and RAM adjustments to accommodate
lxc tests. Juju or canonistack changed some months ago and our scripts
had to add a mem constraint to get juju to bootstrap.

--
Curtis Hovey
Canonical Cloud Development and Operations