New juju-mongodb package

James Page james.page at canonical.com
Mon Dec 2 10:36:07 UTC 2013

On 02/12/13 09:15, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>>> Which of these is core to the function of juju, and which are
>>> useful for debugging?  Please also that the mongodb-clients
>>> package will still be available in universe so you will always
>>> be able to get any of the client tools that way as well (I'll
>>> probably keep those packages maintained to the latest point
>>> release for the released series).
> Looking at the juju-backup script, it is intended to use both dump
> and export. The export is so that we end up with JSON format for
> our "settings" table so we can extract content from there as part
> of restore (what credentials were you using, etc).
>
> Are they both really big? If so, we can probably use: mongo --eval
> "STUFF" instead of "mongoexport", but that would again presume that
> we have a 'mongo' binary available.
>
> I *believe* the data in the mongo dump is just BSON encoded, so it
> would be possible to post-filter it with a bson aware tool to get
> it into human-consumable form (rather than using mongoexport at
> backup time).
>
> I guess the question is, how expensive is it to include it? For
> Juju core folks the cost of including it is all externality so *we*
> aren't particularly motivated to keep our toolset minimal. But if
> there is a use case we want to support, we're willing to help.

Installed sizes:

- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.2M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongo
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongodump
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongoexport
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongoimport
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongorestore

Expect ~50% ish compression for the package itself.

Lets think about download sizes/times for end-users in this context
please :-).  It costs time for every server that's provisioned.

- --
James Page
Technical Lead
Ubuntu Server Team