Default user feedback

Martin Packman martin.packman at canonical.com
Tue Apr 9 17:25:23 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013, William Reade <william.reade at canonical.com> wrote:

> FWIW, my opinion is that feedback and logging are very different contexts.
> The formatting in John's first example is great as feedback but bad as
> logging; in the second, vice versa.

I agree with this, and quite often you want completely different
strings for the two audiences.

One thing I'd mention, is that in the cases where you can use the same
messages, just having appropriate formatting makes a big difference.
I'm not a big fan of the java-esque python logging package, but it
gets this right. Having Hander as a separate concept from Logger means
it's possible to display the same message in suitable forms for
different targets. See <lp:~gz/+junk/logexample> for a trivial
example. For juju, I think having that would go a long way.

Martin