charm audit summary

David Cheney david.cheney at canonical.com
Tue Oct 16 06:38:07 UTC 2012

Hello,

As part of testing Go Juju I have tested all of the charms in the precise charm store. The executive summary is as follows

61 successfully reached the started stage
28 failed to reach the stated stage

6 were unknown, however these are subordinates, which are not currently supported, and will not be discussed further in this context.

Of the 28 charms that failed:

0 charms failed because of compatibility with the Go Juju hook commands.
9 charms failed because they hardcode the path to hook commands, mainly open-port. It is not clear if this is a bug in the charms, i.e., do we mandate to charm authors they should not assume a path for the hook commands, or in the Go implementation (we will have to provide compatibility symlinks)

The remaining 19 charms failed for a variety of reasons including
* syntax errors in the charm, e.g., openerp-web
* unvalidated assumptions, e.g., the nova-volume charm which assumes /dev/sdb is present
* assumptions on packages not part of the base server image, most things that use php, teamspeak3
* broken or unstable PPA repositories

The rest of the failures were traced to bug #1067217, whereby non subordinate service units are being allocated on the same machine and thus race for the apt lock.

Taking the previous paragraph into consideration, the number of working charms could be more than 70, which I view as a fantastic achievement.

The raw data is attached to this email.

Cheers

Dave