PCI config space sanity checking

Alex Hung alex.hung at canonical.com
Wed Feb 1 09:17:56 UTC 2012

On 02/01/2012 12:54 AM, Colin Ian King wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> While discussing some boot speed issues with the kernel with Andy
> Whitcroft we spotted that that the PCI config space is being set up by
> the BIOS and this can be sub-optimally configuring things like the
> SATA capabilities.
>
> For example, bit 27 in HBA Capabilities for SATA devices controls the
> "Staggered Spin-up (SSS)" setting - this really makes sense on servers
> and hence should be set to zero for netbooks, laptops etc.  However,
> we observed it being incorrectly set on particular platform which can
> only have one drive in it, so SSS makes no sense.

SSS looks very familiar. I recall that Intel's BIOS utility (selfcheck
or selftest for Windows) checks this bit and it suggests a setting (I
don't remember whether it was 1 or 0).

PS. Both Intel and AMD also have utilities that checks hardware
registers - thought they make mistakes too.

I think it is a good idea to check hardware configuration but we will
need to be careful. If fwts suggest different configuration from
hardware vendors (i.e. Intel, AMD and nVidia), it will cause confusion.