[Bug 1582899] Re: in-target: mkinitramfs: failed to determine device for /

TJ ubuntu at iam.tj
Wed May 18 08:53:21 UTC 2016


** Description changed:

  Sysadmin reported in #ubuntu (later #ubuntu-kernel) the 16.04 ubuntu-
  server failed due to being unable to configure linux-
  image-4.4.0-21-generic.
  
  Lots of diagnostics and one SSH remote session later we seem to have
  narrowed it down to the installer.
  
- The cause of the error message appears to be that the symlink names in
- /dev/disk/by-uuid/  haven't been updated after the partitioning stage if
- there were pre-existing partitions and file-systems on the install
- device, *and* the sysadmin chose to format the existing partitions when
- selecting mountpoints.
+ At the installer's boot menu the F6 option "Expert mode" is chosen.
+ 
+ During initial ram file-system creation (after the kernel image is installed) the /dev/ file-system is not mounted in /target/ and therefore
+ the initramfs-tools/hook-functions::dep_add_modules_mount() cannot match
+ the mount device of "/" (in this case /dev/sda3) with any node under /dev/ which only contains static entries.
+ 
+ Cause appears to be that live-installer.postinst has the crucial step
+ calling library.sh:setup_dev() commented out:
+ 
+ #waypoint 1 setup_dev
+ 
+ OS=linux
+ setup_dev() calls setup_dev_${OS}
+ setup_dev_linux() mounts procfs and devtmpfs into /target/
+ 
+ 
+ ----
+ 
+ Originally the cause of the error message appeared to be that the
+ symlink names in /dev/disk/by-uuid/  haven't been updated after the
+ partitioning stage if there were pre-existing partitions and file-
+ systems on the install device, *and* the sysadmin chose to format the
+ existing partitions when selecting mountpoints.
  
  In this case a hardware RAID device presents:
  
  /dev/sda1 (/boot/)
  /dev/sda2 (swap)
  /dev/sda3 (/)
  
  From the shell I noticed:
  
  root at tmpstorage:/# ll /dev/disk/by-uuid/
  total 0
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 17 19:39 130e4419-4bfd-46d2-87f9-62e5379bf591 -> ../../sda1
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 17 19:39 127d3fa1-c07c-48e4-9e26-1b926d37625c -> ../../sda3
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 17 19:39 78b88456-2b0b-4265-9ed2-5db61522d887 -> ../../sda2
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 May 17 19:39 2016-04-20-22-45-29-00 -> ../../sr1
  drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 May 17 19:39 ..
  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 May 17 19:39 .
  
  root at tmpstorage:/# blkid /dev/sda*
  /dev/sda: PTUUID="a84e60fd" PTTYPE="dos"
  /dev/sda1: UUID="61365714-8ff7-47a2-8035-8aed9e3191a6" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a84e60fd-01"
  /dev/sda2: UUID="78b88456-2b0b-4265-9ed2-5db61522d887" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="a84e60fd-02"
  /dev/sda3: UUID="75f68451-9472-47c7-9efc-ed032bfa9987" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a84e60fd-03"
  
  More details to follow.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Foundations Bugs, which is subscribed to base-installer in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1582899

Title:
  in-target: mkinitramfs: failed to determine device for /

Status in base-installer package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in live-installer package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  Sysadmin reported in #ubuntu (later #ubuntu-kernel) the 16.04 ubuntu-
  server failed due to being unable to configure linux-
  image-4.4.0-21-generic.

  Lots of diagnostics and one SSH remote session later we seem to have
  narrowed it down to the installer.

  At the installer's boot menu the F6 option "Expert mode" is chosen.

  During initial ram file-system creation (after the kernel image is installed) the /dev/ file-system is not mounted in /target/ and therefore
  the initramfs-tools/hook-functions::dep_add_modules_mount() cannot match
  the mount device of "/" (in this case /dev/sda3) with any node under /dev/ which only contains static entries.

  Cause appears to be that live-installer.postinst has the crucial step
  calling library.sh:setup_dev() commented out:

  #waypoint 1 setup_dev

  OS=linux
  setup_dev() calls setup_dev_${OS}
  setup_dev_linux() mounts procfs and devtmpfs into /target/

  
  ----

  Originally the cause of the error message appeared to be that the
  symlink names in /dev/disk/by-uuid/  haven't been updated after the
  partitioning stage if there were pre-existing partitions and file-
  systems on the install device, *and* the sysadmin chose to format the
  existing partitions when selecting mountpoints.

  In this case a hardware RAID device presents:

  /dev/sda1 (/boot/)
  /dev/sda2 (swap)
  /dev/sda3 (/)

  From the shell I noticed:

  root at tmpstorage:/# ll /dev/disk/by-uuid/
  total 0
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 17 19:39 130e4419-4bfd-46d2-87f9-62e5379bf591 -> ../../sda1
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 17 19:39 127d3fa1-c07c-48e4-9e26-1b926d37625c -> ../../sda3
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 May 17 19:39 78b88456-2b0b-4265-9ed2-5db61522d887 -> ../../sda2
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 May 17 19:39 2016-04-20-22-45-29-00 -> ../../sr1
  drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 May 17 19:39 ..
  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 May 17 19:39 .

  root at tmpstorage:/# blkid /dev/sda*
  /dev/sda: PTUUID="a84e60fd" PTTYPE="dos"
  /dev/sda1: UUID="61365714-8ff7-47a2-8035-8aed9e3191a6" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a84e60fd-01"
  /dev/sda2: UUID="78b88456-2b0b-4265-9ed2-5db61522d887" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="a84e60fd-02"
  /dev/sda3: UUID="75f68451-9472-47c7-9efc-ed032bfa9987" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a84e60fd-03"

  More details to follow.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/base-installer/+bug/1582899/+subscriptions



More information about the foundations-bugs mailing list