[Bug 959446] Re: Ubiquity failed to install GRUB on a EFI & non-GPT system with pre-installed Windows
yannubuntu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:24:39 UTC 2012
*** This bug is a duplicate of bug 1050940 ***
** This bug has been marked a duplicate of bug 1050940
Ubiquity fails creating a correct Windows dualboot on EFI computers
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Foundations Bugs, which is subscribed to ubiquity in Ubuntu.
Ubiquity failed to install GRUB on a EFI & non-GPT system with pre-
Status in “ubiquity” package in Ubuntu:
Initial situation: HP Touchsmart 520, 64bit 4GB, pre-installed
Windows7 (on sda1 and sda2), non-GPT disk, 356Go unpartitionned space
Installed Ubuntu 11.10 via automatic installer. Ubiquity gave no
errors nor warnings during install.
- after reboot, no access to Ubuntu. PC boots directly to Windows.
- see attached files: /var/log/installer/syslog , /var/log/installer/partman and debug files,
- see BootInfo summary created via Boot-Repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/890361 (apparently boot is in EFI mode)
- Ubuntu contains /boot/grub/grub.cfg , but no core.img and no grub.efi
- MBR has not be modified (it contains no GRUB)
WORKAROUND: purge and reinstall grub-pc via Boot-Repair, with nomodeset option, allowed to obtain GRUB menu with access to Ubuntu and Windows. See resulting BootInfo: http://paste.ubuntu.com/891331
That means Ubiquity should not try to install grub-efi on this system,
but grub-pc (+nomodeset) instead.
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
More information about the foundations-bugs