[Bug 154086] Re: Installing to HDD with previous ubuntu fails to create fresh LVM claiming group already in use
launchpad at surgut.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 15:43:09 UTC 2012
Thank you Peter. I will prepare an SRU for precise as well.
** Changed in: partman-auto-lvm (Ubuntu Precise)
Assignee: (unassigned) => Dmitrijs Ledkovs (xnox)
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Foundations Bugs, which is subscribed to partman-auto-lvm in Ubuntu.
Installing to HDD with previous ubuntu fails to create fresh LVM
claiming group already in use
Status in “partman-auto-lvm” package in Ubuntu:
Status in “partman-lvm” package in Ubuntu:
Status in “partman-auto-lvm” source package in Precise:
Status in “partman-auto-lvm” source package in Quantal:
Status in “partman-auto-lvm” package in Debian:
Status in “partman-lvm” package in Debian:
* Fail to pre-seed automatic LVM installation on machines with:
- empty / new partition table
- not-zeroed out disks
- which had the same partition layout
- and the same volume group names
* this affects large scale automated installs / deployments, as it is
very easy to get all of those conditions when reinstalling.
* To fix this bug partman-auto-lvm should be updated with the proposed fix
* the fixed partman-auto-lvm should also make it onto affected images
* Pre-seed or manually execute "Guided partitioning - LVM"
* Remove/Clear partition table with e.g.:
# fdisk /dev/vda << EOF
* Pre-seed or manually execute "Guided partitioning - LVM" again
* while the current behaviour is broken, it did allow to "resurrect"
LVM groups by bailing out the install after the zombie VGs groups
became detected, but it is not guaranteed that the resurrected VGs are
correct: the partition can be too small and VG can be incomplete (only
1 out of many physical volumes). Some people may have been relying on
this. The correct behaviour will attempt to delete the zombie VGs by
asking a question that can be pre-seeded or manually backed out of.
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
More information about the foundations-bugs