[Bug 888069] Re: SRU Request for LP: #563895
888069 at bugs.launchpad.net
Wed Nov 9 14:30:59 UTC 2011
PPA containing Lucid's grub2 packages plus only this patch:
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Foundations Bugs, which is subscribed to grub2 in Ubuntu.
SRU Request for LP: #563895
Status in “grub2” package in Ubuntu:
Impact: When /boot and / are in an LVM VG and a snapshot is made of an
LVM LV in that VG the system will not boot and grub can not be
modified (updated, reinstalled) until all snapshots are removed.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Install Ubuntu from either the "server" or "alternate" ISO image to a system with an otherwise empty boot diskl
2. Use "manual partitioning" and create a single partition over the entire boot disk with type "Logical Volume Manager"
3. Configure LVM with a volume group containing the boot disk.
3A. Create a logical volume for swap.
3B. Create a logical volume for the root filesystem.
3C. Leave some free space in the volume group for future snapshots.
3D. Do not make a separate /boot file system.
4. Finish installation, reboot, apply patches, reboot.
5. Use "lvcreate" to make a snapshot of the logical volume containing the root file system.
6. Reboot. You will be at the "grub-rescue>" prompt.
You cannot recover from this by using an ISO in recovery mode until
you remove the snapshot as grub-probe fails during attempts to re-
install or update grub2 while a snapshot if fixed.
Cherry-picked patch from upstream grub2 that only modifies one source
code file: ... disk/lvm.c inside grub2.
See attachment for patch.
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: grub-pc 1.98-1ubuntu12
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-35.78-generic 184.108.40.206+drm33.20
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-35-generic i686
Date: Wed Nov 9 08:48:59 2011
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20110211.1)
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
More information about the foundations-bugs