ltsp-pnp boot issues

Jim Christiansen jim.c.christiansen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:40:28 UTC 2015

Hello again,

I've had a chance to try out an ltsp-pnp install in my classroom using
guides such as:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp

or

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to-install-pnp-ltsp-on-ubuntu-mate-14-04-lts/566

I'm having an issue where clients that are powered up minutes after the
first dozen boxes have booted, get ip numbers for the boot server,  gateway
and dhcp server from one of the first booted clients.

When this happens nothing obviously works! and the clients rests at a
BusyBox shell..  like this:

http://www.christiansens.ca/images/bad-boot.jpg

I have done a ton of reading and do know that the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf file
is being read.  I'm an external dhcp service through my router and do not
have the ltsp server providing a range through the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
file.  I have inserted nameserver 192.168.1.254 into my
/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head file.

Here are the key settings in my ltsp-server-dnsmasq.conf file...

#dhcp-range=192.168.1.110,192.168.1.145,8h
dhcp-option=17,/opt/ltsp/images/amd64
port=0
bind-dynamic

With these settings I can boot many clients simultaneously.  The trouble
occurs when I boot other boxes 2 or 3 minutes or later.  they all get wierd
ip number and boo info from newly running clients...

I sure would apprciate any advice.  Thanks,  Jim