Arduino IDE on Fat Client

Jim Christiansen jim.c.christiansen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 22:11:22 UTC 2014

Hello everyone.  :-)   I'm running a 12.04 30 fat client lab and need to
install the Arduino IDE for fat client use.  I have Java 7 installed and
functioning properly for other tasks but the fat clients can not load a
successfully compiled program onto the Arduino Uno.  I'm trying the stock
tar download from arduino.cc as an apt-get install arduino wants to install
openjdk and that will mess with the java7 install that we need for our
other specialty app requirements.  The Arduino loader can not find the
serial port.  On my own standalone 12.04 had similar issues and I just
chmoded 777ed ttyacm0 and it came to life and uploads code fine.  Does
anyone have a suggestion on how to run the Arduino IDE from a fat client?
 Thanks,  Jim