ltsp-pnp, which version?

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 15:56:15 UTC 2014

Just had this conversation w/Alkis on #ltsp:

alkisg: dgroos: here I advised schools to stick with 12.04 because there
are drawbacks in 14.04, and no visible benefits...
alkisg: Use google translate on that:
http://alkisg.mysch.gr/steki/index.php?topic=5857.msg66678#msg66678
dgroos: alkisg: ahh, well that’s cool because it saves me time
alkisg: With the linux-image-generic-lts-trusty kernel, the newer hardware
is supported, and xorg dropped XAA-based cards, and gnome broke keyboard
layout switching in SDL, and gnome-flashback has multiple issues in 14.04...
dgroos: This is what I had hoped to hear. Will there be possible issues
with any programs that do work on 12.04 if I update to the new kernal?
alkisg: I don't think (regular) programs depend on the kernel version
alkisg: But don't update to the newer xorg without considering it first
dgroos: alkisg: would one have to update xorg explicitly or might it happen
as part of a kernal update, accidental-like.
alkisg: dgroos: to get the whole kernel/xorg, you'd give: sudo apt-get
install --purge linux-generic-lts-trusty xserver-xorg-lts-trusty
alkisg: Without the xserver-xorg-lts-trusty part, you'd only update the
kernel
alkisg: So if you don't have any issues at all, just do nothing. If you
have very new clients and experience issues, install the trusty kernel. If
the issues persist, try with the newer xorg too.

Again, thanks Alkis!

David