Locked-down browser for online testing on Linux?

Rippl, Steve rippls at woodlandschools.org
Mon May 6 18:18:30 UTC 2013

I don't know of any general plugin that would do this.  Creating a bootable
USB environment that you configured to only go to a specific site would
work, there may be kiosk distros that already do this?

The Smarter Balanced Assessment testing tool coming in a couple of years
for quite a few States in the US is based on Firefox,
http://www.smarterbalanced.org/smarter-balanced-assessments/technology/, I
have no idea whether anything could be done with that, they have some kind
of adaptive test engine behind it.

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for cross-posting, but I know some people are only on one list...
>
> Does anyone know of a way to lock down a browser in Linux for online
> testing? Ideally, I'm imagining a plug-in or something that, when it
> accesses a testing site, would make the browser full screen, not allow
> the user to open new tabs or windows, and would keep the user from
> switching to other applications during the time that the test is going
> on. Once the test is submitted, the browser would return to normal.
> (There would probably also need to be a "Cancel" or "Abort" or "Quit
> Now" button, that would submit an incomplete test and return control
> to the user.)
>
> I realize you'd have to do some extra stuff outside the browser to
> prevent savvy users from disabling such a plug-in, but the last time I
> checked, the only "Lockdown" browser available was a commercial
> product for Windows.
>
> Given the proliferation of online courses, online tests, and the move
> by many states to do high-stakes testing online, I'm thinking there
> must be someone working in this area. In fact, creating a bootable CD
> or USB that had just the testing environment on it might be a good way
> to ensure that students can't use anything else while they're testing.
>
> Anybody know of any development in this direction?
>
> Todd

Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools