New User - First impressions

Allan Kelly allankelly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:32:34 UTC 2013

Hi, I'm a long-time Linux user (over 10 years), father and IT professional.
My children, aged 6-12, are well used to using Linux. I've just installed
edubuntu 12.04.

My immediate impression is "what is the difference between this and
ubuntu?" - to be honest I can't find any! I think a casual user would give
edubuntu about 5 minutes before deleting it. I know what I'm doing, and I
got pretty frustrated!

Why? Well, the reason I installed it was to give my children an environment
filled with educational games and things they need for school. Instead,
they get the Unity bar filled with standard office and system settings
icons. Finding the educational programs is not possible without knowing
what you're looking for. All I could find is gCompris (and which casual
user would guess that!?), and that I found by the totally unintuitive "Dash
home" -> "Show all applications".

I do think this could be easily fixed.

1. Put educational icons on the unity bar by default.
2. Provide a grouped lit of educational tools in the Application list.

That seems easy, I hope it can be done for future releases.

Cheers, al.