sending and receiving multicast datagram

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 13 13:41:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:51:11AM +0200, Mukanyiligira Didacienne wrote:
> Hello,
> I am sending a multicast datagram using the
> Example: Sending multicast datagramand
> Example: Receiving multicast datagram
>
> The sender is a linux container and receiver is a node in ns3 simulation.
>
> and the following are error I am getting while I run those examples.
>
> Could any one tell me how to solve such kind of problems.
>

> This is the message I am getting while I run the code on sender side.
>
> sudo: unable to resolve host left
> Opening the datagram socket...OK.
> Setting the local interface...OK
> Sending datagram message...OK

That looks good, the sudo warning is probably caused by a mismatch between
your current hostname and the content of /etc/hostname or /etc/hosts, so
not the source of the problem.

> and this this the message I getting while I run the code on the receiver
> side.
>
> Waf: Entering directory
> `/home/didaxini/tarballs/ns-allinone-3.15/ns-3.15/build'
> Waf: Leaving directory
> `/home/didaxini/tarballs/ns-allinone-3.15/ns-3.15/build'
> 'build' finished successfully (11.399s)
> Opening datagram socket....OK.
> Setting SO_REUSEADDR...OK.
> Binding datagram socket...OK.
> Adding multicast group error: No such device
> Command
> ['/home/didaxini/tarballs/ns-allinone-3.15/ns-3.15/build/scratch/mywimax-multicasttrial']
> exited with code 1

That's very likely your problem. It looks like it's trying to access a specific
network interface but that interface doesn't exist.
If there's any kind of configuration, you'll want to check what device it's
currently using and make sure it exists, otherwise, you may want to run that
last command under strace and look for the "No such device" error in the
output, hopefully that'll show you more information on exactly what it's trying
to access.