Running MS Office (Word) on Edubuntu?

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 18:03:12 UTC 2013

2013/6/11 Joseph Bishay <joseph.bishay at gmail.com>:

> I've been asked to figure out how to have staff access MS Word using
> our network.  OpenOffice / Libre Office apparently isn't good enough
> (compatibility issues when moving files between one location that's
> Word and one that's Libre Office).
>
> Is this possible? I know there's software like Wine and Crossover -
> are those the recommended ways to do this?  Or remote desktop to a
> Windows server? If that is the case, will the staff still be able to
> access their LTSP home files?
>
> I appreciate your feedback!

No single answer is going to be the best to this question, but my
advice would be: try Wine and test it. The "normal" wine versions are
installable by ubuntu packages so that's practical; with some luck you
may run the installer out of the box. Support is not perfect but it
seems to work: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=11

If you're going to try any proprietary derivative of Wine, Crossover
or bordeaux are probably the best bet in your situation.
http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications

I personally would only start looking at remote application solutions
if none of the above suits your needs; for example a Citrix server to
run just the Office applications, which will be a lot less practical
to your end user because the integration with their desktop will be
bad (things like drag and drop).

--
Frank Van Damme
"My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user- friendly