[SOLVED] Booting problem after installation

d.davolio at mastertraining.it d.davolio at mastertraining.it
Mon Jan 14 16:25:20 UTC 2013

On 01/14/2013 04:49 PM, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM, d.davolio at mastertraining.it
> <mailto:d.davolio at mastertraining.it> <d.davolio at mastertraining.it
> <mailto:d.davolio at mastertraining.it>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everybody,
>     I'm planning to use a nice server to implement an Edubuntu
>     12.04LTS School lab.
>     I installed from USB on a dual processor server with a Raid 10
>     storage. Since the storage is like 4 terabyte and Edubuntu see
>     only one large disk /dev/sda, I let the installer do the automatic
>     partitioning and installation. After the installation the server
>     booted correctly, then I installed the upgrades (Update Manager).
>     After that, the server doesn't boot anymore and stops at the
>     "grub>" prompt.
>     I'm still able to boot giving at the grub> prompt the linux and
>     initrd right commands but even after boot, an update-grub and
>     reboot, the server stops at grub>.
>     Here some detail: the installer used the GPT table and I have 3
>     partitions, /dev/sda1 (bios_grub), /dev/sda2 (root filesystem) and
>     swap.
>
>     Is there any known problem with this configuration in Edubuntu as
>     far as you know?
>     Thanks for the help!
>

> I suspect that the USB device was sda during install and made your
> raid partition sdb. Are you specifying the device at the grub prompt?
> When you look at how grub.cfg is assembled, are you using uuid or
> /dev/ names?
Nope, the device is /dev/sda and the root filesystem is /dev/sda2. At
grub prompt i gave:
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-35-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-35-generic
boot

The device in grub environment is hd0. I solved using update-grub2
instead of update-grub to update the grub configuration. And this is the
odd thing. They are the same bash script that invoke "grub-mkconfig" and
it seems not aware of the execution name. I tried few more times and if
I run update-grub the server stop at grub>, if i run update-grub2 the
server boot correctly.
This is the /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

The problem to me is solved but remain a mystery.

Thanks
Davo