Edubuntu Kiosk questions

Andy Coleman acoleman at wts.edu
Fri Sep 14 21:01:04 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm new to Edubuntu and relatively new to Linux in general and I have a
few questions that I'm not finding answers to.

I have Edubuntu 12.04 installed and running in kiosk mode (using the
ltsp-build-client --kiosk) networking/NAT works fine but I can't, for
the life of me, figure out how to set the default firefox homepage.
I've tried changing /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/firefox/syspref.js thinking that
it was the place for global firefox prefs but that didn't seem to work.

The other thing that I need to do is set different default printers for
different kiosks as they will be on different floors of the building.
My thought there is that I could do it through a startup script that
sets the printer depending on what the mac address of the machine is.
Does that sound like I'm on the right path or would there be an easier
way to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Andy