Desktop choice/performance

Theo Schmidt theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Fri Sep 7 15:49:34 UTC 2012

John Hupp wrote:
> But I didn't see anything there that gave any indication about client
> performance when comparing LTSP-PNP vs. the current version of LTSP5 in
> 12.04.  I am especially interested in thin (very thin) client performance.

I gave up trying to administrate LTSP some years ago, so now somebody
does it for us, and it's not a school, but an office with three elderly
thin clients on a moderately new server. We're traditional KDE3 users
and while we have KDE4 installed as well as Gnome2 and two lightweight
desktops, the performance and handling of KDE4 sucked and the
lightweight Desktops as well as Gnome2 didn't do what we wanted, but our
supporter was able to reinstall KDE3.5, which still does exactly what we
want except that it is confusing to switch between KDE3 and 4 programs
as well as GTK and other programs, as the design changes. We have both
LTSP4 and LTSP5 installed and can use either. The former is much faster
to boot and uses less resources, but has no sound.

With regard to Unity, Gnome3, and other new-fangled stuff, I expect that
pupils catch on faster than the teachers!

Cheers, Theo Schmidt