Incomplete shutdown on some LTSP clients (shutdown hangs/freezes)

John Hupp edubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Sep 7 15:21:49 UTC 2012

Good news!

Richard Doyle from the LTSP mail list posted that I can add acpi=force
to the end of the append command in
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/<arch>/pxelinux.cfg/default.

I did this on my Edubuntu and Lubuntu LTSP servers, and all clients
tested then shut down fully.

The only remaining problem, which seems to this newbie like a bug rather
than a feature, is what Richard Doyle points out (I have not it
confirmed here, but his other info was dead-on-center): running
ltsp-update-image will restore the original
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/<arch>/pxelinux.cfg/default, so this and any
other edits are wiped out.

And I still have a related secondary question: Since acpi=force
indicates that ACPI has to run on the client and not just on the server,
how can I verify that ACPI is indeed running on the client?  Someone
suggested looking at the output of dmesg on the client for results that
contain "ACPI," but it seems to me that this will just report the boot
messages from the server, not the client.

A big thank-you to all who contributed to solving the original primary
problem.  Special thanks to Richard Doyle from the LTSP mail list and
Steve Yorvyk from the Lubuntu list.