Desktop choice/performance

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Sep 7 12:37:30 UTC 2012

I'll add that I am running 12.04....using the fallback desktop.  My choice
was more for the users and less about performance.  Unity is SO different
from all the other desktops in the school, I was worried that the little
ones (we're grades K-8) would have some difficulty.  Asmo made some
comments about going with Fat clients if you can...and while I agree, I
went with a different route.  I have thin-clients (that are capable of
being Fat clients....Dell Optiplex G620's Ultra-Small form factor with 1
GB ram...etc.) yet I'm choosing to run most of my memory and processor
intensive applications such as web browsers and Flash....Celestia...Google
Earth...etc. as local-apps.  I'm used to the thin-client model and wanted
to keep it simple yeat reap the benefits of using the local machine
processor and ram.  I must say....it's working GREAT!  My own lab has 26
clients....and we had a room full of young kids watching smooth streaming
video the other day....full screen!  I taught a lesson the other day with
Google Earth!  (it's pretty cool because these are thin-clients...running
local-apps)  We've been running LTSP in some form here since 2001....the
kids are used to it and this year...they are truly impressed with the
smoothness and speed.

Kudos to the Epoptes folks as well.  Epoptes ROCKS!  I have more control
than ever now!  Aside from the usual controlling screens, demoing,
boradcasting, and so forth....I now have wake-on-lan and shutdown
control....for my whole building!  Things are running very smoothly.  I've
even incorporated scripts to allow me to switch my lab from auto-login
back to normal login.

Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw at yahoo.com> writes:
>We are running LTSP on Ubuntu 10.04 across 64 workstations distributed
>across 8 classrooms and in one computer suite in a school in
>Hertfordshire, UK.
>
>We are beginning to plan for our move to a fresh install of Edubuntu
>12.04. I note that the Edubuntu screenshots page shows Unity, which we
>are keen to deploy, and then the more traditional desktop 'fallback'
>which is says is more suited to LTSP environments. This implies a
>performance hit for running Unity (2d?) in LTSP environments.
>
>What are folks' experiences of running Unity (2d?) versus the fallback
>mode in an LTSP deployment? Have people experienced a performance hit
>from moving from Gnome 2 on 10.04 to Unity 2d on 12.04? Realistically,
>should we expect to be running fallback mode to achieve a similar level
>of performance to our current install?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Matt