Desktop choice/performance

asmo.koskinen at arkki.info asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Fri Sep 7 10:14:51 UTC 2012

> What are folks' experiences of running Unity (2d?) versus the fallback
> mode in an LTSP deployment? Have people experienced a performance hit from
> moving from Gnome 2 on 10.04 to Unity 2d on 12.04? Realistically, should
> we expect to be running fallback mode to achieve a similar level of
> performance to our current install?

I think is is not question about desktop environment (Unity 3D vs.
LXDE/XFCE) but question about thin vs. fat client. You should go for fat
client, if your desktop hardaware can do that. Fat client gives to you the
best desktop performance whatever desktop you are using, even KDE can fly
in fat client.

Test Alkis' ltsp-pnp (coming to 12.10), if your network environment and
needs are simple enough. It is awesome. I use it with Lubuntu. My PCs are
very basic ones: P4/NVidia Vanta/512M(emory).

If you can't go for fat client, then you have to test amd tweak and ask
what users are thinking.

So, I recommend something like Lubuntu/Xubuntu+ltsp-pnp/fat client. It
gives best performane with media support (audio, video, voip etc).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Comparision_between_LXDE_and_Xfce
http://jonathancarter.org/2010/11/24/how-do-ltsp-fat-clients-work/

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.