Librarian to add users from fat client...

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 5 22:03:56 UTC 2012

On 12-09-05 05:57 PM, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I can't figure out how to let our Librarian run adduser or passwd.  I've
> added her to the sudoers and she can log in and perform the tasks from
> the server.
>
> She is not able to do the same from one of the fat-clients.
>
> The server is in my computer classroom in a bank of servers and feeds
> the library clients.  Moving the server into the library is no the first
> choice.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks, Jim

A fat client only runs with a limited copy of /etc/passwd, so even if
the user is an administrator on the server, they won't be able to
add/remove/change accounts.

One way around this would be to set REMOTE_APPS=true in lts.conf and add
a launcher for "ltsp-remoteapps gnome-control-center".

Clicking on that launcher will start "gnome-control-center" from the
server as it'd on a thin client which should let her manage accounts.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer