Incomplete shutdown on some LTSP clients (shutdown hangs/freezes)

John Hupp edubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Sep 2 19:54:28 UTC 2012

Some updates on this problem:

The problem is not confined to LTSP clients.  I booted an Lubuntu Live
CD on one of the affected clients and found that it hung during shutdown
also.

----------------------------

The problem is also not Gnome-specific, as someone suggested.

I downloaded Kubuntu 12.04 (uses KDE rather than Gnome) and made a Live DVD.

On one of the clients with the shutdown problem, I booted the Live DVD.
I didn't have a working pointer (500 MHz Celeron and 256 MB, so maybe
not enough resources), but the "sudo poweroff" command from a console
window resulted in shutdown hanging after "System halted" was reported
onscreen, and I had to force the machine off.

I also played with the BIOS Power Control settings to no effect on one
of the affected machines.  For "ACPI Aware O/S: Yes/No" and "Power
Management/APM: Enabled/Disabled" I tried all four permutations of BIOS
settings and all resulted in the same hung shutdown.

There were also other settings: "Power Button Function: On/Off,"
"Suspend Time Out: Enabled/Disabled" and <various devices>:
"Monitor/Ignore," but I took those to be irrelevant.