Edubuntu - How to create a shutdown splash screen?

John Hupp edubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Sep 2 19:46:50 UTC 2012

This is actually a tangent to the incomplete shutdown problem that I
have been working on. In my initial post I wondered if, as a work-around
of sorts, I could create a shutdown splash screen that would remain
on-screen on machines that suffer from the shutdown problem.

So pending a fix for the shutdown problem, I return to this thought in a
separate thread of its own.

When I initially posted the problem on the LTSP mail list, one reply
came that it was possible but not easy to do, and that such a mechanism
would be distro-specific and require help from someone with
distro-relevant knowledge.

What I had in mind was a screen similar to the one that appeared on
Windows 9x machines that could not turn off automatically.  For those,
the last screen that appeared said something like "It is now safe to
turn off your computer."

And I think I recall seeing this screen flash on for an instant even on
machines that could turn off automatically. So it may have been part of
the standard shutdown routine and only remained on-screen for cases when
an auto-shutdown didn't work.

Anyone know how?