fat clients - desktop symlinks

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 16:09:02 UTC 2012

We use symlinks on all users' desktops to a couple of shared directories using ln -s (/home/shares/pupils /home/shares/staff)

On the server and on thinclients, these show up as symlinks (look like shortcuts to WIndows users) and have worked well for a couple of years under 10.04. Users read and write to those shares (depending on their group permissions).

Moving to 12.04 and trialling fat clients, these same symlinks (seen on the server desktop or thinclients as symlinks) now show up as proper folders (directories) on the fatclient desktop (presumably because I am mounting all of /home from the server to the fatclient using LOCAL_APPS_EXTRAMOUNTS).

Questions: Does this make any material difference at all in this usage scenario? Does it matter? Or is there a better way to link from the desktop to those shares in /home?

Thanks.

--
Matt