Simpler method for fat/thin client setups

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:52:40 UTC 2012

Στις 30/05/2012 06:07 μμ, ο/η David Groos έγραψε:
> Since the server would need to run in pae mode, how does that affect how
> much memory you can have on the server?

Hi David,

as I write on the ltsp-pnp wiki page, PAE kernels support up to 64 Gb
RAM. And since fat clients don't consume almost any server memory
anyway, that memory would only be useful for the thin clients in a
mixed-mode environment.

> Also, what's your experience with a server serving 30 fat clients?  Can
> you use 3 gigs RAM on the server since the clients are Fat?

Sure, 3 Gb server RAM would be enough for 30 fat clients. Do some
benchmarks about disk speed and network bandwidth though, you might e.g.
see that a second PCI-e NIC on the server (with bonding) proves useful.