A small LTSP network setup

Xashiish xashiish at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 18:10:27 UTC 2012

On 15/06/2012 14:15, David Groos wrote:

>     Just make them fat clients via LTSP. That way, you keep the
>     central admin ease of LTSP for all those machines but fully
>     utilise the workstation hardware as the OS downloads to the
>     workstation each boot (quickly!). It's a very elegant solution to
>     exactly your situation.
>
>     --
>     Matt
>

> I second that, exactly.
> David G
Hi Matt & David,

Now that i have received the donated hardware and confirmed their specs,
this solution would be the best option to me as well. I went to the
school on Friday and picked up the donated hardware.

In total i received 10 computers(5 each of the below) & 1 networked
laser printer:
5x desktops with Celeron 2.4 Ghz, 2GB and 40 GB HD
5 towers with Intel Pentium D 2.53 Ghz, 2 GB RAM & 60 GB HD.
Plus 1 Xerox Phaser 840 laser printer with a few spare toners. Untested,
but said to be working before being placed in a storage. I am not
familiar with these and don't know how well they are supported in linux
if at all they are. I only saw Solaris drivers on Xerox's website.

I have only had time to take out a couple of the computers, clean them
out and test. Both worked well and hopefully the remainder will be just
as fine. I will have some time next weekend and inspect them all.

Cheers
Faisal