A small LTSP network setup

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 10:57:59 UTC 2012

>________________________________

      One of the main advantages, less use of electricity and resources,
      is completely negated. With more RAM, each one could easily act as
      the terminal server!

>>With such machines, I would instead of LTSP set up a master
      computer and a system for cloning this to the others, which is
      done at regular intervals.

>>Cheers, Theo Schmidt
>>

>>Hi Theo,
>
>Based on the the specs that i am told the donated computers will
      have, i agree with you that they can each on their own have a full
      OS installed on each of them and the idea of an LTSP server kind
      of becomes pointless.

>Kind regards,
>Faisal

Just make them fat clients via LTSP. That way, you keep the central admin ease of LTSP for all those machines but fully utilise the workstation hardware as the OS downloads to the workstation each boot (quickly!). It's a very elegant solution to exactly your situation.

--
Matt