A small LTSP network setup

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 21:30:38 UTC 2012

Στις 13/06/2012 12:02 πμ, ο/η Faisal έγραψε:
> I will be administering the server in my spare time on a voluntary basis
> and therefore want to minimize the administrative tasks by letting their
> non-linux staff create user accounts, reset passwords and so on as and
> when and do not need to be calling me all the time.

In Greece we've been developing a tool called "sch-scripts" for school
administration. First, we put classroom management functionalities and
after we tested it for a couple of years, we internationalized it and
www.epoptes.org was born.

Now in sch-scripts we're putting user management functionalities, mass
user creation + assigning them to classes (groups), import users from
.csv, shared rw folders for students, ro published folders for teachers
etc etc.

We've been thinking to do the same as with epoptes again, i.e. to first
develop it in Greek, and after it gets tested for about a year, to
internationalize it and try to push it into the Debian/Ubuntu archives.

But if enough people are interested to try this on 12.04, we could
develop it directly in English and support localization...

About ltsp-pnp (that was one of our school-oriented efforts too), it's
the same as LTSP, i.e. the fat clients are using the server image like a
...bootable usb disk: not all of it is downloaded to the client nor is
it written locally. The OS only reads the sectors it needs each time.