12.04 updated today, now no gui, terminal logon only

Jim Christiansen jim.c.christiansen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:26:07 UTC 2012

I ran an update on my edubuntu 12.04 box today then rebooted to load the
new kernel.  I have the white edubuntu loader screen display then the
systen drops to a console logon- no x or gui.

I have been running the stock Unity and Compiz (and loving it) using the
mobo integrated Radion 4200 graphics set.  No hicups or warnings while the
updates were happening...  Just completely lost X.

sudo unity, unity --reset, startx, sudo startx, dpkg --reconfigure
xserver-org, bla bla bla is all that I've tried.  I've been running the
latest proprietary ATI drivers, and Catalyst with a twin display output- a
vga to my lcd projector and one dvi/hdmi to my toshiba tv/monitor.  I have
disconnected the projector and tried only booting with the monitor
installed but x doesn't even attempt to start from what I can tell.

Does anyone have advice for me?  I've got my VM there wating for Monday
classes that I need to use to demo my design lessons with.

Thanks for thinking about this problem everyone.  Jim