Single NIC install of Edubuntu

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 02:30:19 UTC 2012

Hi David,

See comments inline:

** **
> What I'm running into are a few things...and I'm sure I'm just missing
> something.  First...I've disabled the other onboard NIC on the server....it
> doesn't get and address, but ifconfig still shows it's there.

Not sure if you've checked this yet but the config file that (at least used
to) assign the HW address of the NIC to the port is located in:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.  If it is strange (happened in
my case when cloning a 'golden server' you delete this file and will be
re-generated upon restart with the accurate info.  Then, perhaps by
commenting out the NIC you don't want in this config file and restarting
the server, the NIC will disappear?

> I also need to change the default addressing scheme for DHCP to a 10.0.0.x
> network.  I did that and it seemed to break something so that the
> thin-clients don't finish booting....they get the Edubuntu splash screen,
> but end with an initramfs message.  I haven't gotten into it too far...so I
> have not troubleshot that issue.  Nonetheless, I'm also able to ping, but
> unable to resolve.  In other words....ping 10.0.0.1  works fine (10.0.0.1
> is my firewall/router for the LAN)...yet ping abc.com doesn't...nor does
> firefox go to any web sites (although it will go to IP addresses)....so I'm
> guessing it's not resolving.  So...what do I need to change and watch out
> for when changing the network addressing from the default 192.168.x.x to
> 10.0.x.x.  I'm pretty sure I had most everything...the server has the right
> address....
>
> Not 100% sure where everything lives now.  Thought about editing
> /etc/resolv.conf manually, but it doesn't seem like anything is in there

What I would recommend doing is working through this wiki
page<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT/>as
it has received much loving care to be REALLY helpful when working to
get internet working on thin client networks.  I've used that page to
troubleshoot more than 1 time...

Good luck,
David G