How to speed up Epoptes broadcast to 30 fat clients on gig netwk

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:37:30 UTC 2012

Στις 10/02/2012 05:37 μμ, ο/η Jim Christiansen έγραψε:
> Is there any way to speed up the rate that the lab of 30 clients will refresh?

Epoptes launches an x11vnc server in shared mode, which I believe is as
fast as this specific technology can get. Unfortunately VNC is slow.
A gigabit network will help. On 100 mbps networks VNC repeaters could
help, but it would be very difficult to do it automatically.

In the future, we want to implement screen AND video broadcasting with
multicasting, so that a teacher can show e.g. a full screen video even
in 100 Mbps LANs. We'll have to develop a small client in C so that it
can be used as a localapp in LTSP thin clients with 128 MB RAM too,
that's why we can't do it soon.